After the death of Fidel Castro, we will take a brief look at the history of Cuba and the effect Fidel Castro had in the country.
1. The Cuban Republic is established in 1901 and Tomas Estrada Palma takes office as President.
2. The birthplace of Fidel Castro, Holguin, Cuba. He was born August 13, 1926.
Via Air Transat
3. Fulgencio Batista was elected President of Cuba from 1940-1944. He went on to overthrow the government and become dictator from 1952 to 1959. Fulgencio Batista would later be overthrown by Fidel and Raul Castro, along with Che Guevara as part of the Cuban Revolution.
4. Fidel Castro speaks at Princeton University on April 20, 1959, about the results of the Cuban Revolution.
5. The Cuban Missile Crisis is the closest call the United States has had with a foreign country attacking the continental USA. It was a response to the failed Bay of Pigs Invasion in 1961. The Soviet Union deployed intermediate-range nuclear missiles in Cuba to combat similar moves made by the US in Turkey.